Girls to get cervical cancer jabs

Share your news storys
MasterSamWise
AKA The Thinker

Girls to get cervical cancer jabs

Post by MasterSamWise » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:02 pm

LONDON (Reuters) - All girls aged 12 to 13 in England will be vaccinated against the sexually transmitted virus that causes most cases of cervical cancer, the government said on Friday.
(Advertisement)

From next autumn, girls will receive three injections at school over six months in a move that could save up to 400 lives each year, the Department of Health said.

Teenagers up to the age 18 will also be vaccinated during a one-off programme lasting two years. The scheme is also expected to be adopted in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

"As a society, we need to do more to prevent disease and not just treat it," Health Secretary Alan Johnson said in a statement.

The move is a boost for drugmakers Merck & Co and Sanofi-Aventis, which jointly market the vaccine Gardasil. GlaxoSmithKline offers another cervical cancer vaccine, Cervarix.

The Department of Health has not decided which of the two drugs it will buy, but said it was unlikely that it would use both at the same time.

"It is highly likely it will be one or the other," the department's Director of Immunisation, Professor David Salisbury, told a news conference.

Britain is the latest European country to offer the vaccine routinely to girls, following similar moves by Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg and Norway.

Many other countries around the world have also opted for vaccination, on the basis the investment will save lives and healthcare costs in the years ahead.

Gardasil and Cervarix work by cutting the risk of infection with human papillomavirus (HPV), which causes pre-cancerous and cancerous lesions, as well as genital warts.

The injections are given to young girls because the vaccines do not work once a patient is already infected

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20071026/ ... 995_2.html

:cl WTF are they up to now, i mean WTF, don't get me wrong if it works excellant, i mean do you have a choice

MasterSamWise :ras
We create our own reality

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:39 pm

LONDON (AFP) - Schoolgirls in Scotland became the first in the country to get a jab against cervical cancer on Monday.

Pupils aged 12 and 13 in several Scottish areas are being offered the vaccine from this week, as part of a nationwide programme announced last October.

The programme will eventually see all girls in Britain up to the age of 18 receive the jab -- although it is not compulsory.

Scotland is the first to start the campaign as schools there started back earlier.

The Cervarix vaccination works by targeting the human papillomavirus, which causes around 70% of cases of cervical cancer.

More than 1,000 women in the UK die every year from cervical cancer.

The vaccine costs around £300 and will be offered in three doses over a six-month period.

Jeanette Cairns, a school nurse co-ordinator with NHS Tayside, one of the first areas to carry out vaccinations, said: "Girls should not feel nervous about coming for the vaccination.

"It is just a small injection into the arm that will protect them for many years against cervical cancer."
To resist the influence of others, knowledge of one's self is most important.

Draw from your past....... but don't let your past draw from you

Yama, The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was..... is lost. For none now live who remember it.

For all your Computer needs www.btlogic.co.uk

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:45 am

GIRL GETS SEX JAB AGAINST HER WILL
Sunday October 12,2008
By lucy Johnston

A PROBE was under way yesterday amid claims a Scottish teenager was “hoodwinked� into being given a controversial sex cancer virus jab.

Health officials are investigating after a mother complained her 13-year-old diabetic daughter received the Human Papilloma Virus inoculation against her will at school.

Debbie Jones, 47, even considered police action after discovering daughter, Gail, was injected despite signing an official form refusing consent.

The teenager was inoculated as part of the Scottish Government’s campaign against cervical cancer. :smiley_tosserJPG:

more...
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/65696 (link approved by admin)

Yama, The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was..... is lost. For none now live who remember it.

Rossco
Roving Reporter

Post by Rossco » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:05 am

See i've a thought about these jabs and it might sound crazy to 99.9% of youse who read it but i believe it with all off my heart. Was walking home with my mate the other day and saw the ad for these jabs on a pay-phone in mill street. anyhow got me thinking and about halfway home thinking (mate was worried cause he said i was never quite lol) anyhow i came up with this. I BELIEVE that these jabs contain some sort of drug to make these young girls sterile. Not all of the jabs have this drug cause that would be to much but say 2 or 3 in 10 the rest being placebos. Now think about it! The world is getting way over populated so what a (insane) genius way to do this. Now call me crazy but i believe this with all of my heart i really do. And as for the flu jabs while i'm here they are BAD NEWS and if you have a young child do not get these for your child, common sense if nothing else. Think about it! Kids are meant to get the cold and flu to build up there immune system for later life and if you get this flu jab for them you strip away that defence and what happens that after say9-10 years of young children getting and depending on these jabs that one year OPPS no shipment for whatever reason and what do you have??????????????????????????? kids dropping from the common cold! aye that's dead smart that! If you have any sense of the human body you know that even in my lay man terms I'm right! DO NOT GET YOUR CHILDREN THIS JAB it is wrong on every basic level. It is like a fighter not training for a big, hard fight. what happens...he gets knocked to f0--k out in the 1st round that's what. Colds and flu's are good for kids in small doses cause it toughens there immune system! FACT
Well you may throw your rock and hide your hand
Workin' in the dark against your fellow man
But as sure as God made black and white
What's down in the dark will be brought to the light

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:39 am

I totally concur with everything you have just said with the same passion as you had when you wrote it

Ronski
Ards Forum Reporter and Backbone

Post by Ronski » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:52 am

Very Very interesting killing our selves from the inside what next
"Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches..it's more like a jar of jalapeno's.

What you do today,might burn your arse tomorrow.

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:05 am

Its the old joke, paddy goes to the doctor in the usa and the doctor tells paddy he has 6 months to live, to which paddy says doctor it will take me more than 6 months to pay your bill and the doctor says ok paddy you have a year to live then

Homer

Post by Homer » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:09 am

Hee Hee Basel

Rossco
Roving Reporter

Post by Rossco » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:13 am

sad that we have such distrust of Doctors, politicians, religious people etc etc etc. I have a mistrust of them anyhow. Is it me that has problems or is it so far gone with most of the people in power what with the money and the power that they seem to no longer care? i think the latter but still it is kinda sad. Maybe it was always this way and the older people felt the same but I was to young and having fun to notice! Not that I'm old but god-dammit i just feel jaded at times.

Rossco
Roving Reporter

Post by Rossco » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:26 pm

NJ flu-shot mandate for preschoolers draws outcry
Class warfare. I doubt you'll see any rich people complaining about their children getting vaccinated at gun point, ever.

NJ flu-shot mandate for preschoolers draws outcry
By DAVID CRARY, AP National Writer David Crary, Ap National Writer – Thu Oct 16, 5:33 pm ET

As flu season approaches, many New Jersey parents are furious over a first-in-the-nation requirement that children get a flu shot in order to attend preschools and day-care centers. The decision should be the parents', not the state's, they contend.

Hundreds of parents and other activists rallied outside the New Jersey Statehouse on Thursday, decrying the policy and voicing support for a bill that would allow parents to opt out of mandatory vaccinations for their children.

"This is not an anti-vaccine rally — it's a freedom of choice rally," said one of the organizers, Louise Habakus. "This one-size-fits-all approach is really very anti-American."

New Jersey's policy was approved last December by the state's Public Health Council and is taking effect this fall. Children from 6 months to 5 years old who attend a child-care center or preschool have until Dec. 31 to receive the flu vaccine, along with a pneumococcal vaccine.

The Health Council was acting on the recommendations of the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which has depicted children under 5 as a group particularly in need of flu shots. But no other state has made the shots mandatory for children of any age.

"Vaccines not only protect the child being vaccinated but also the general community and the most vulnerable individuals within the community," New Jersey's Health Department said in a statement. It has depicted young children as "particularly efficient" in transmitting the flu to others.

Opposition to the policy is vehement. Assemblywoman Charlotte Vandervalk, one of the speakers at the rally, said she now has 34 co-sponsors for a bill that would allow for conscientious objections to mandatory vaccinations.

"The right to informed consent is so basic," she said in an interview. "Parents have a right to decide for their own children what is injected in their bodies."

State policy now allows for medical and religious exemptions to mandatory vaccinations, but Vandervalk said requests for medical exemptions often have been turned down by local health authorities. She said 19 other states allow conscientious exemptions like those envisioned in her bill.

New Jersey's health department has come out strongly against the legislation.

"Broad exemptions to mandatory vaccination weaken the entire compliance and enforcement structure," it said.

The department also contends that New Jersey is particularly vulnerable to vaccine-preventable diseases — with a high population density, a mobile population and many recently arrived immigrants.

"In light of New Jersey's special traits, the highest number of children possible must receive vaccines to protect them and others," the department said.

Several hundred people attended Thursday's rally, some with signs reading, "Mommy knows best."

Among the speakers was Robin Stavola of Colts Neck, N.J., who said her daughter, Holly, died in 2000 at age 5 less than two weeks after receiving eight different vaccines, including a booster shot.

"I am not against vaccines, but I do believe there are too many," she told the crowd.

State health officials and the CDC insist the flu vaccine is safe and effective, but Vandervalk and the parent groups who support her bill contend there has been inadequate research into the vaccine's impact on small children. Critics note that flu vaccines contain trace amounts of thimerosol, a mercury-based preservative; the CDC says there's no convincing evidence these trace amounts cause harm.

More generally, many of the parents mobilizing against the state policy believe various types of vaccine are being overused, resulting in more cases of autism, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and other neurological problems in children.

"There's not been a response from the government that is credible in terms of doing the scientific research that will screen out vulnerable children," said Barbara Loe Fisher, a speaker at the rally. She is co-founder of the National Vaccine Information Center in Vienna, Va., an advocacy group skeptical of vaccination policies.

"There's an acknowledgment that prescription drugs can cause different reactions in people, but there's a blanket statement by health authorities that we all have to vaccinate, all in the same way," Fisher said.

Fisher is a prominent player in a nationwide movement challenging the scope of vaccination programs. She was harshly critical last year when school officials in Maryland's Prince George's County threatened to impose jail terms and fines on parents whose children didn't get required vaccinations.

Many of the activists in New Jersey accept the need for mandatory vaccinations for certain highly dangerous diseases, such as polio, but argue that the state went too far in requiring flu shots.

"The flu is not a deadly disease," said Barbara Majeski of Princeton, N.J., who does not want her two preschooler sons to get the vaccination.

In fact, flu kills about 36,000 Americans a year and hospitalizes about 200,000. But children make up a small fraction of the victims — 86 died last year, from babies to teens, according to federal figures. Only two flu deaths of children in New Jersey have been recorded since 2004.

"Mother Nature designed our bodies to be able to fight off infections through natural means — you need to be exposed and develop immunity," Majeski said. "We've just gotten a little too overprotective with our children."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081016/...flu_shot_fight

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:50 am

Girl dies after cervical cancer jab

A 14-year-old girl has died after being given a cervical cancer vaccine at her school. Skip related content

Girl dies after cervical cancer jab

The teenager had the HPV jab at the Blue Coat Church of England School in Coventry as part of the national immunisation programme to protect women against the disease.

An "urgent" investigation was launched following the pupil's death in hospital and the batch of Cervarix allocated to the school was quarantined as a "precautionary measure".

Dr Caron Grainger, joint director for public health for NHS Coventry and Coventry City Council, said: "A 14-year-old girl took ill at a school in Coventry and was taken to University Hospital in the city where she later sadly died.

"No link can be made between the death and the vaccine until all the facts are known and a post-mortem takes place."

The HPV vaccine protects against two strains of human papillomavirus that cause more than 70 per cent of cases of cervical cancer in women.

The NHS started the immunisation programme in September last year, offering vaccines to girls aged 12 and 13, and to 17 and 18-year-old girls.

Nightmare, nightmare, nightmare