Dress code for supermarket shoppers

Share your news storys
Ronski
Ards Forum Reporter and Backbone

Post by Ronski » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:09 am

Friday, 29 January 2010

Tesco bosses have banned customers from shopping barefoot or in their pyjamas at one of the retail giant's stores in Cardiff.

They have introduced a dress code because a minority of customers have been visiting the branch in their nightwear.

Customers at the St Mellons store are now greeted by signs warning them of the new dress code.

They were put up in response to customers complaining that the relaxed shopping habits of some made them uncomfortable and embarrassed.

The new signs, headed Tesco Dress Code Policy, read: "To avoid causing offence or embarrassment to others, we ask that our customers are appropriately dressed when visiting our store (footwear must be worn at all times and no nightwear is permitted)."

A spokeswoman for Tesco said: "We're not a nightclub with a strict dress code, and jeans and trainers are of course more than welcome.

"We do, however, request that customers do not shop in their PJs or nightgowns.

"This is to avoid causing offence or embarrassment to others."

She added: "This is in response to other customers. We would never dictate to people.

"But we have listened to customer feedback that it makes them uncomfortable and embarrassed."

Comment

What's next in this store i wonder, they need to get a life these people who complain about dress code and bare feet, and will it catch on over to NI

Ronski :1w :1w b1 b1 b1 :shock: b1 b1 b1 :1w :1w
"Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches..it's more like a jar of jalapeno's.

What you do today,might burn your arse tomorrow.

Ronski

Post by Ronski » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:43 am

Tesco bans shopping in pyjamas

By Claire McNeilly
Friday, 29 January 2010

In parts of Belfast — pyjamas are de rigueur not only for sleeping in, but for shopping in as well.

A growing number of female citizens have no fear of braving the elements in brightly coloured, often stripey attire they have just emerged from the sack in.

Now one of the major UK supermarkets has indicated that it's had enough of the ‘trend.’

A Tesco store in Cardiff has even gone as far as to ask customers not to shop “in their night gear or barefoot�.

So how long will it before the retail giant’s 46 Northern Ireland outlets follow suit?

A spokeswoman said Tesco in Northern Ireland did not have a dress code but it does not want people shopping in their nightwear in case it offends other customers.

“We're not a nightclub with a strict dress code, and jeans and trainers are of course more than welcome. We do, however, request that customers do not shop in their PJs or nightgowns,� she said.

In the past some local schools have appealed to parents not to wear pyjamas when dropping their children off.

Two years ago Joe McGuinness, principal of St Matthew’s Primary School in east Belfast, sent out a stern letter describing the PJs and slipper ensemble as “slovenly and rude�.

But should there be a ‘No Pyjamas Outdoors’ campaign to offset this dubious fashion statement?

Or would that simply be a case of wilful and wanton discrimination against the lazy or lacklustre?

PR guru and Ulster ‘It’ girl Cathy Martin said a wardrobe code of conduct could clear up some grey areas.

“Some of these pyjamas are very pretty, but they are for wearing in bed and not really anywhere else,� she said.

“I think it’s really inappropriate to wear pyjamas outside in public, despite a growing attitude to the contrary.

“I’m all for freedom of speech and expression but I think it shows a lack of self-respect.�

Ms Martin added: “People should impose a self-inflicted ban; you only have to look in the mirror to see how inappropriate it is.�

Notices have been put up in Tesco in St Mellons in Cardiff saying: “Footwear must be worn at all times and no nightwear is permitted.�

While we may not have come that far in terms of signage, Belfast Lord Mayor Naomi Long said our society is following a British trend.

“It has almost become a counter-culture in some places where people are actually buying nice pyjamas to go out in,� she said.

“Some people also actually make a real effort to do their hair and make-up.

“But just as you have slippers for indoors and shoes for outdoors, you have clothes for daytime and pyjamas for night time — unless you work night shift!

“It’s not about launching war on pyjamas, it’s a more deep-seated issue. “It’s about saying people need to do much more with their day.�

But Sinn Fein councillor Fra McCann said people have a right to wear whatever they want.

“A variety of clothing is worn outdoors, like shorts and vests, so why not pyjamas?� he said.

:1w :1w b1 b1 :1w face1 :1w :wiz dragon:
"Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches..it's more like a jar of jalapeno's.

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:45 am

What ever next :lol
To resist the influence of others, knowledge of one's self is most important.

Draw from your past....... but don't let your past draw from you

Yama, The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was..... is lost. For none now live who remember it.

For all your Computer needs www.btlogic.co.uk

asma

Post by asma » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:43 am

Yer niver no luk how themins gat the shaps ta open an a sanday, i wudnt no bat they say ards shappin center is better than the twelf an sundays.

asma.

Ronski

Post by Ronski » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:08 pm

Supermarkets are off their trolleys over pyjamas
Belfast Telegraph
By Gail Walker
Tuesday, 2 February 2010

Get off the backs of the PJ. It’s the new witch hunt. Not so long ago, it was hoodies, before that it was shell suits, and before that Doc Martens. What do they have in common?

It’s the preferred couture of the lower classes, people.

I, for one, don’t see any problem with girls — for it is they — turning out in a sturdy pair of heavy brushed cotton trousers and top, if they so desire, to shop in Tesco.

The idea of victimising on the basis of brightly coloured clothing is absurb. The prospect of seeing supermarket chains ‘policing’ a dress code is even more ridiculous.

Burly bouncers hurling waif-like teenage girls out into the rain, anybody? While the same guardsmen hold the door open for Stumpy and Squinty passing through to the cheap booze in their Celtic and Rangers tops.

It’s classist and it’s sexist.

If they want to make a point about standards, stop parents wheeling their wet-nappied children around actually sitting in the trollies where you’ll be setting your head of cabbage. Or what of the weary nurse popping in after a long shift still in her uniform? Is that hygienic?

Get a grip. In these days everybody’s fiver is worth the same.

:1w :1w face1 face1 bang1 bang1 drunck 1 drunck 1 b1 b1 b1 b1 :1w :1w :1w

Ronski

Post by Ronski » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:13 pm

Tesco ban for 'barefoot shopper'

Thursday, 4 February 2010

Tesco has banned a barefoot shopper from its stores

A man has been refused entry to Tesco as he tried to shop barefoot in its stores.

Video artist Dave Richards, 47, who has gone without shoes for seven years, was turned away by several branches of the supermarket chain.

Last week it emerged that customers at a Tesco store in Cardiff were banned from shopping barefoot or in their pyjamas.

The dress code was introduced at the St Mellons store because some customers had been visiting in their nightwear, prompting complaints from others.

Mr Richards, from Castle Donington, Derby, said he had written to Tesco chief executive Sir Terry Leahy to ask him why he could not shop barefoot.

The supermarket's customer services department told him it might offend people, he said.

"No other supermarket has ever kicked me out for going barefoot," he said. "But about half a dozen Tesco stores up and down the country have objected to it."

Tesco said it had no national policy on footwear in its stores.

"Most of our customers would expect to see other customers wearing some kind of footwear," a spokesman said.

"However if for a medical reason he can't wear shoes or any other footwear, we would be more than happy to sit down and discuss the issue."

:1w face1 face1 bang1 bang1 face1 face1 :1w :1w b1 b1 b1 b1 b1 b1 :1w :1w face1 face1 face1 :mrgreen:

Ronski

Post by Ronski » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:16 pm

Going for a doctor's line to say that you cant wear footwear is a must nowadays' in Tesco's lol

face1 face1 face1 :1w :1w :1w :1w face1 face1 face1 face1 :1w :1w :1w b1 b1 b1 b1 b1 b1 :1w :1w

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:42 pm

Ronski wrote:Supermarkets are off their trolleys over pyjamas
Belfast Telegraph
By Gail Walker
Tuesday, 2 February 2010

Get off the backs of the PJ. It’s the new witch hunt. Not so long ago, it was hoodies, before that it was shell suits, and before that Doc Martens. What do they have in common?

It’s the preferred couture of the lower classes, people.

I, for one, don’t see any problem with girls — for it is they — turning out in a sturdy pair of heavy brushed cotton trousers and top, if they so desire, to shop in Tesco.

The idea of victimising on the basis of brightly coloured clothing is absurb. The prospect of seeing supermarket chains ‘policing’ a dress code is even more ridiculous.

Burly bouncers hurling waif-like teenage girls out into the rain, anybody? While the same guardsmen hold the door open for Stumpy and Squinty passing through to the cheap booze in their Celtic and Rangers tops.

It’s classist and it’s sexist.

If they want to make a point about standards, stop parents wheeling their wet-nappied children around actually sitting in the trollies where you’ll be setting your head of cabbage. Or what of the weary nurse popping in after a long shift still in her uniform? Is that hygienic?

Get a grip. In these days everybody’s fiver is worth the same.

:1w :1w face1 face1 bang1 bang1 drunck 1 drunck 1 b1 b1 b1 b1 :1w :1w :1w

Goes back to my plastic bag and shopping trolley rant from a while back :lol

Yama, The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was..... is lost. For none now live who remember it.

Ronski

Post by Ronski » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:45 pm

Tesco stores ban for barefoot man

Mr Richards stopped wearing shoes to cure a limp caused by a broken leg. He enjoyed going barefoot so much that he never looked back. Since then he has gone barefoot on the London Underground, to funerals and to music concerts.

"I've stood on glass and had thorns in my feet but none of that has put me off," he said.

:1w face1 face1 b1 b1 b1 :1w :1w

BASEL
Site Administrator

Post by BASEL » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:01 pm

This is the bed wetters setting government policy again lol zz99

Ronski

Post by Ronski » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:34 am

U think so Basel, wat's next the wearing of mask's and plastic clothe's to go and do your weekly shop as i think it's getting out of hand these day's b1 b1 b1 :1w :1w b1 b1 :1w drunck 1 :1w